- We watched them
- We laughed with them
- We thought they were funny
- We loved them
But today so many years later it looks like the writers of this TV show were ahead of their time. They addressed a need and gave a solution for something so many seniors are facing today, namely living alone. And for most of these older people it is not their choice, but a reality which is hard to change, and which circumstances of life have imposed on them.
So here come the Golden Girls – not long ago I read an article – sorry I forgot the name of the publication – but since the article was so a propos I didn’t forget what I had read. It was about three women who have put this idea in motion, and they were grateful for
- not to being alone anymore
- knowing if they fell sick somebody would be there to help
- sharing meals
- sharing expenses – which allowed them to live in a nicer place
- sharing their thought and feelings with another human being
Of course what to watch out for was also mentioned
- never buy a house together with another person
- there has to be just one owner – it leaves the door open for everyone to come and go if things don’t work out
- have house rules re cleaning, cooking time, meals, etc.
- take your time to make a commitment
- look at many options before you do
- and above all
- make sure you like the person
Shortly after I had read this article there was a television show about three men living together, about 65 to 75 (my guess) and when they were asked how it felt sharing a house and their life, they said laughingly while pushing each other like school boys, “We haven’t had so much fun in years.” And they truly looked happy and alive.
Of course these are the pioneers. But every major change and movement started with a few who eventually convinced the rest of the world – and here we are speaking about the fast growing group of older people looking for solutions to their changing world.
Most of the Golden Girls have left us, but we are lucky to still have Betty White. What a role model! Over 90 her enthusiasm for life is contagious. She looks nice, is well dressed, and always has a positive attitude. Is that why she is still round? Maybe? Whatever the answer staying positive is like sunshine making your days brighter and your life happier.
Thank you Golden Girls for the years of laughter and sunshine you gave us and for showing us a way of life that could just make the difference in our life now!
And never forget – A Smile Changes Everything